Thursday 9 October 2014

Maps and Journeys....A Journey of Epic Proportions!

when tasked to go on a journey and present the narrative of it in accordance to a map-route of your choosing, it is fair to say that one can be pretty stumped. I say this because recently that exact thing happened to me in a recent workshop.

 The ting about this year is that now the realms of interactive art can be included which immediately leads me into the realm of video games! Now I'm not here to debate whether games are art or not for a single reason: They are. Video games are an incredible, exciting, and artistic medium through interactivity and gameplay. The reason I stress this is because one of the things games can do is make the player feel in a state of "unrealism". A different state of logic and action where individual actions, no matter how absurd in isolation can make coherent sense in its own world of rules etc. But I love the joke of applying video games to real life, the effects of reenactment can help highlight and isolate the nonsensical nature of certain aspects of many games and yet also celebrate the feeling that games can give to a player because of said absurdity.  So I decided to use an odd base inspiration for this mini-segment of the unit, I used comedy troupe Mega64:
Now I actually have cosplayed as the person from journey before for an expo, and as tempting as it is to get my costume back out and basically just copy them it is a) pretty lame to just steal ideas and b) doesn't incorporate a map at all. However I recently managed to get the classic game "shadow of the colossus" for my housemates Playstation 3, and while looking at a map for collectibles I noticed something rather interesting (or extremely loosely coincidental and still a bit of a stretch when you think about it for 2 seconds!). However I figured it'd be a fun way to look at the project from a slightly different angle, so I made this as a chronicle of my journey!:

1 comment:

  1. Control of an avatar is copied as a performance by Rob himself on a 7 x 7 m grid representing work and play. QR code from same room of UCA students or remotely through Twitch chat live stream camera.

    What is your intention? What binds you to the avatar? Why are you copying it? Idea of everything been out of control, giving up control to others, not taking responsbility...

    Props and styling - important for audience engagement! Morph suit to be devoid of personality.

    Important not to fall into the bounds of student jape. This should be serious performance. Must look at the work of Stelarc.

    Consider a particular time slot of 4 hours for this.

    ReplyDelete